Monday, November 22, 2004

Daikaijû Sôkôgeki

Man, those Indiana Pacers--the biggest story in my Hoosier Home probably since 9/11, with just as much dawn-to-dusk coverage. To fully understand the gravity of the situation, here is how people worship in Indiana:

1. Larry Bird.

2. Bob Knight.

3. Jesus.

4-10, depending on where you live in the state, will include some or all of the following: Steve Alford; many Muncie Central Bearcats including Bill Harrell, Chandler Thompson, and Ray McCallum; anybody who ever played for Milan; John Wooden; Oscar Robertson; Slick Leonard; Isaiah Thomas before he coached the Pacers; Reggie Miller; and on and on and on.

If you don't live in Indiana, you don't understand: the feeling of hearing "The Star Spangled Banner" at the beginning of a high school basketball game in a packed gym on a snowy night is the greatest feeling in the world.

In political news, how come the Republicans want to allow foreign-born people to run for president when they were afraid John Kerry was going to turn over the keys to the U.S. government to the United Nations?

Once upon a time I wrote a lot about screenwriting in my blog. And I will again. Many know that largely because of some family issues I've had a long drought on freelance work and am just trying to get back on the horse. I had a dinner meeting late last week with an old friend who did the L.A. thing and came back, and that is a good start. I think it's a bit more of a personal crisis than a professional one. I was saved from my last professional crisis when I stumbled across a William Goldman book called "What Lie Did I Tell?" by accident when browsing the stacks. I woke up this weekend humming Jimmy Ruffin's "What Becomes of the Broken Hearted?" and then turned on the radio and found it playing. Strange but true! A sign? I do believe in them. I'm going to peruse the library stacks again.

Give me a shout at johnoakdalton@hotmail.com.



No comments: