Wednesday, January 01, 2020

Another Year Over, A New One Just Begun

2019 was quite a year of ups and downs, like I am sure it was for most everyone.  I sold both my movies intro distribution after shooting one in 2018 and a second in 2019.  But I also had a couple of health scares, the first since I was diagnosed with Type II Diabetes in 2014 and set out to go down four pants sizes.  I had emergency gallbladder surgery and then had a chronic bladder infection I couldn't shake.  But all ends well.

I think it was the author Sherman Alexie who said if you can take the good and subtract the bad and still smile you are doing okay, and I agree with that.

My public resolutions for 2020 are to keep an eye on my health, shepherd my kids and grandkids as best I can, continue to work on my creativity, plus one or two private ones.

2009-2019 is a large chunk of real estate to get my mind around.  In 2009 I made a big mid-career change and left IT/television and went into marketing and communications at a midwestern regional college.  I have had a tremendous ride during that time with a lot of successes.

I decided to use that as an excuse to walk away from screenwriting, but it never left my mind, and a few years later was back writing a handful of movies for directors Mark Polonia and Henrique Couto.  In late 2017 I decided to make a leap and direct my first feature, which we shot in March 2018.  It is dropping next month on DVD but can currently be streamed on a number of platforms, which exceeds my expectations for a movie I shot at my house.

Both my kids got college degrees, and my wife got her MFA in creative writing and a professorship.  Both my kids got married and I have three grandkids, with promises made to each that I will try to live a while longer.

I bought what I hope is my last home, on five acres in a rural area, and built a chicken coop there, and living this way keeps me grounded, I hope.

This may have been the decade with the most changes in my adult life, but I have a feeling the next one may be even more so, both good and bad.

I wish the best for my loyal readers in 2020 and beyond.

No comments: