Thursday, September 15, 2011

Lost Files of the JLA #1-6






So I got a sketchbook and some art supplies for Father's Day and have been doodling away.  I know I can hardly draw but when I'm thinking, especially about writing projects, it's good to draw.  Oddly, my entire family has encouraged this.  I have, also rather strangely, had some drawings accepted on the Rejected By Covered art blog (with my contributions defining the blog's mission somewhat loosely) which reminded me how, as a kid, I always liked to draw the covers of comics I wanted to make.  I frequently talk about writing Suicide Squad or Secret Society of Super-Villains (mainly because I don't think anyone cares that much about them and thus one day I might actually get a chance to write them) but let's face it, the gold standard is the Justice League of America.  I have batted around a "Lost Files" fan fiction idea for a long time and decided to draw up some of the covers.  Bonus nerd points if you can identify some of these characters, and seek help immediately if you can divine what my plots were intended to be.

4 comments:

Dave G. said...

Okay, let's see how well I can do without any help from Google...

Issue 1: An african-american green lantern - John Stewart, maybe? but they appear to be missing a few limbs, so not sure. Red Tornado, Ferro Lad, The Atom, Dr. Fate, Jay Garrick - The Flash, and the person in purple... Black Orchid?

Issue 2: top-left corner - Javelin?, Bronze Tiger, Count Vertigo, Captain Boomerang, Deadshot, middle-right edge - unsure, Red Tornado's head, top-right corner - unsure.

Issue 3: left-center - Damage? Robotman, Black Orchid (a-ha! I was right), Negative Man, Green Lantern, Dr. Fate, Ferro Lad.

Issue 4: Night Girl, 2nd from top-left - Plant Girl?, Sensor Girl, Chemical King, Polar Boy, Reflecto a.k.a. Superboy, Bouncing Boy, Stone Boy, Timber Wolf, Rainbow Girl, Karate Kid, Jay Garrick Flash, Ferro Lad, Green Lantern, Invisible Kid, bottom-left corner - unsure, Lightning Lad?, Wildfire.

Issue 5: Red Tornado, Swamp Thing, Dr. Fate, Black Orchid, Green Lantern.

Issue 6: Red Tornado, Metamorpho, Bronze Tiger?, Bulletwoman?, Vibe, Black Lightning, Green Arrow, Atom Smasher, Dr. Fate, Ferro Lad, Green Lantern, The Atom.

John Oak Dalton said...

1: A+! That is a Green Lantern character I have always wanted to do, and a new Black Orchid, so extra credit.
2. Electrocutioner (probably a new one, been wanting to do that as well) and Signalman, but I won't count off because he has never been in Suicide Squad that I know of.
3. It kinda looks like an early Damage but it is actually Karma, who I think got mistreated and killed off abruptly when Grant Morrison did the Doom Patrol reboot. Actually killed in Suicide Squad.
4. I know you are a LoSH fan from way back but I threw a lot of Subs in here so I can cut you a break. The lineup includes Infectious Lass, Matter-Eater Lad, and Color Kid; and even I had to look at Google to get the costumes right.
5. A+.
6. A+ although Bulletwoman is now called Bulleteer. I wanted to put her in my main lineup but I can barely draw her well enough.

You are awesome, Dave, thanks for looking and playing along!

Tom said...

Regarding Karma, I believe he left the Doom Patrol an issue or two before Morrison took over. I remember reading an interview with Morrison during his DP run where he mentioned he had plans for Karma, but they apparently didn't get used. Wasn't Karma kiled in that SS issue with Black Adam that also featured The Writer, Ostrander's take on Grant Morrison's appearance in Animal Man?

John Oak Dalton said...

Tom, I am pretty sure that was the same ish of Suicide Squad, yes.