Tuesday, March 19, 2019

This Doggone World We're Livin' In





I ended the second weekend of shooting SCARECROW COUNTY vowing no more cold weather shoots and no more Daylight Savings Time shoots.  My sophomore movie has more of everything--more people, more locations, more pitchforks, more things on fire.  Although the only place I set off the smoke alarms with the fog machine was my own house, and maybe that's just as well. The only things we forgot to have more of on this production were time and money.

I tried to avoid having a sophomore slump by wearing a flannel every day, just like the scarecrow, with a lucky shirt on underneath.  Except for the last day, when it was so damn cold I had to wear a sweatshirt.

The first day I wore my Haunted House on Sorority Row tee shirt, the second day my tee shirt from Cinecitta Studios in Rome, the third my Blue River Coast Guard shirt my wife got me, the fourth my Tom Cherry Radio Show shirt, the last day my The Girl in the Crawlspace shirt.

We have a pickup day in Dayton coming up for a cold open scene involving a Ouija board--did you think I would leave out a Ouija board?--and then the movie is wrapped for well and for true.



I'm very eager to see the puzzle pieces come together.  It was written, developed, and shot in such a feverish burst--from page one on the script in the first week in January to wrapping principal the second week in March--that there are big pieces of it I can't quite remember having anything to do with.  I hope that intensity comes out on the screen.  It's a complete 180 from my talky, slow-burn debut that I am very curious how it will be received, not least of all by myself.

My editor Eric Widing got the files the day after we finished principal and starting chewing away on it.

In the last few weeks since we started shooting I have picked up a big chunk of new readers, so thank you.  More on this and other projects soon.

This post first appeared in my secret e-newsletter I WAS BIGFOOT'S SHEMP.

No comments: