Thursday, January 26, 2006

Flotsam

One of my favorite directors, Steven Soderbergh, is releasing his next movie Bubble at roughly the same time at the movies, on HDTV, and on DVD. How awesome is that? I'm curious to see what happens.

I recently sat down and watched The Graduate with my daughter and saw it through new eyes. Long takes, challenging ideas, great use of depth of field and offbeat camera angles. Where have movies like this gone?

But then I felt better the next day because I saw Jim Jarmusch's Broken Flowers. Always liked Jarmusch. I think Jarmusch's 1984 film Stranger Than Paradise is the movie where I jumped from Japanese rubber monsters and Italian sandal epics into my adult phase, which pretty much lasted until I started writing b-movies in 2000. Now I have a foot in both worlds, I'd like to think.

Most all of my favorite TV shows have jumped the shark. But I've read a couple of good books lately.

Give me a shout at johnoakdalton@hotmail.com.

No comments: