Wednesday, February 28, 2018

I Don't Mind the Sun Sometimes, the Images It Shows

It's not too late to subscribe to my secret e-newsletter I WAS BIGFOOT'S SHEMP--information is in the sidebar to the right.  This post first appeared there earlier.

In my secret e-newsletter last week I tried to make a joke about all the little details in making THE GIRL IN THE CRAWLSPACE--finding a rotary phone, some fake guns, and some rope--and suddenly people were messaging me offering me fake guns and rotary phones.  An old friend wrote me "you've made a lot of friends along the way," and that's probably the most flattering thing anyone has said to me in a while.

Nobody has offered me any rope, so I guess trust in our friendship only goes so far.

It has been cool to see other people pop up in offering help, from all corners, and I appreciate it all.

The mask for The Crawlspace Killer arrived from my pal Tim Shrum all the way in Oklahoma, and the dogs immediately hated it.  But when I sent a photo to my lead actors--Erin Ryan, John Hambrick, Joni Durian--they all three wrote back with some variation of "It's scary.  I love it."  Which made me think I have the right cast.

I hope it is all the little details that make the movie interesting to people.  At least I've tried to make things interesting to me.  I kept bragging on myself that I had written a movie easy to shoot, and then realized I wrote in a town sheriff, who has to wear a uniform.  So I got on Amazon and bought all the police-y parts, and then got on eBay and looked for vintage patches, since I want everything to have a throwback look. 



I found this patch from Milton, Indiana, where my father-in-law grew up and his mother (my wife's grandmother) was the town librarian.  I believe the library is still there, but I'm sure they don't have a police department any more, and practically nothing else is there either, including the house my father-in-law grew up in and the school he graduated from.  So I thought I would give a little shout-out to Milton in my movie.

Indiana people know that Milton is probably an hour from where the movie takes place, so there is no way the sheriff of Milton is involved with The Crawlspace Killer in Mooreland.  But I'm just going to keep it real, gentle viewer, if you end up thinking this is the most unbelievable thing in the movie, I'll be happy.This coming weekend, follow me on Facebook, Twitter, and Snapchat for live updates from the set.  I'm at johnoakdalton in all those places.

No comments: