Thursday, August 28, 2003

READING:
At the library I picked up a collection of interviews from "The Onion A.V. Club" called THE TENACITY OF THE COCKROACH and have been reading one or two a night. People from all across the spectrum from Pam Grier to Murray Langston (the Unknown Comic) to Alan Moore (who confirmed what I have always suspected, that he regretted how THE WATCHMEN changed comics in the 80s). Lots of good stuff there.

LISTENING TO:
A new funk/soul 70s and 80s station which for some mysterious reason I have started getting all the way from Dayton, Ohio, through the magic of the ether. It's really buoyed my spirits lately; how can you be downbeat when you're listening to "Brickhouse," "Rock the Boat," and "The Theme from Shaft" anyway?


MOVIES:
WITCHOUSE 3: Very polished horror outing that has a contemporary vibe, a different outlook than the previous films, and a very eye-catching cast (including Debbie Rochon, Tanya Dempsey, Tina Krause). The DVD is brimming with neat extras, as most all of the Tempe DVDs are. Shows what professionalism at all levels can bring to a modest budget. Directed by one of my microcinema faves, J.R. Bookwalter. I have a soft spot for this one as I won it in an on-line contest, but it is also available from the Tempe Video website.

You can talk to me about all of this stuff at johnoakdalton@hotmail.com.

No comments: