Thursday, January 24, 2008

We Could Be Heroes, Just For One Day

I am trying to spend out the rest of my Christmas money collecting up a Heroclix team based on my Lost JLA fan fiction I have been brewing up. I got a Firestorm, Firehawk, Hourman and Bulleteer in one swoop, then a Zatanna; Green Arrow is hard to find, and the price points on Golden Age Flash, John Stewart Green Lantern, and especially Ambush Bug are a little rich. But I am working on it.

I had my interest renewed in Heroclix after my Little Brother Harold's birthday. He has been wanting to play for a while and said that was all he wanted on Earth, so what else could I do. I got him a starter and a couple of boosters, then after taking him out to lunch on his birthday we went to a gaming store in search of a few more. I have been going to this place ever since I wasn't much older than Harold and it was fun to stop in. We began rooting through the big commons box (where I found much of the aforementioned Lost JLA) looking for a Superman. There was not going to be any Superman Heroclix in a commons box and my heart sunk a little.

But a college-aged dude gaming at a nearby table opened up a tacklebox full of Heroclix and handed my Little Brother a very nice Superman. That pretty much typlifies what's cool about gamers, no matter what other stereotypes might apply.

We ended up buying a few more boosters and Harold, as luck would have it, also got a Bizarro Superman (the "slow and misunderstood" Superman, according to Harold) and a Superman Blue. This League of Supermen, with the help of Flash, Hawkman, and Aquaman, later took on a rather robust Suicide Squad team of my own devising and beat them fairly mercilessly. But it was still fun.

Give me a yell at johnoakdalton@hotmail.com.

No comments: