Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Timon of Athens Pt. 2

In our next installment of our modern dress, original prose adaptation of TIMON OF ATHENS, we attend a hipster party where Timon's supposed friends, hangers-ons and synchophants all, try to see and be seen, while Flavia and Apemantus try to peel the falsehoods back a bit. Sort of "The Hills," Bill Shakespeare style.

EXT. TIMON'S HOUSE -- EVENING
We see Timon's sprawling, upscale home, as sleek new-model cars pull into the long circular driveway.
A clot of photogs and reporters are shooting arrivals, and there is the general buzz of paparazzi activity.
The trendy see-and-be-seen types are standing around the lawn in studied poses, among them gliteratti like LUCIUS, LUCULLUS, SEMPRONIUS, and VENTIDIUS.
Out of the range of the lights, but not too far out, Ventidius is crouched over his laptop on a bench as Sempronius saunters up, a canvas tucked under his arm. This pair are both young rich guys with inheritances affecting the look of the noble poor. Sempronius is the more flamboyant of the two, Ventidius tries the poet's glower instead.

SEMPRONIUS
I have not seen you long; how goes the world?

VENTIDIUS
(coolly)
It wears, sir, as it grows.

SEMPRONIUS
You are rapt, sir, in some work, some dedication to the great lord.

VENTIDIUS
(airily)
A thing slipped idly from me. What have you there?

SEMPRONIUS
A picture, sir. When comes your book forth?

VENTIDIUS
Upon the heels of my presentment, sir. Let's see your piece.

Sempronius makes a showy display of an adequately rendered image of Timon.

SEMPRONIUS
'Tis a good piece.

VENTIDIUS
So 'tis, this comes off well and excellent.

SEMPRONIUS
(airily)
Indifferent.

VENTIDIUS
I will say of it, it tutors nature; artificial strife lives in these touches, livelier than life.

Timon is at the door, drink in hand, greeting people and ushering them in. He spies Sempronius and Ventidius and approaches, smiling. Ventidius stands and shuts his laptop.

VENTIDIUS (CONT'D)
Vouchsafe my labor, and long live your lordship!

TIMON
I thank you; you shall hear from me anon. Go not away.
(to Sempronius)
What have you there, my friend?

SEMPRONIUS
A piece of painting, which I do beseech your lordship to accept.

TIMON
Painting is welcome.

Timon sizes it up.

TIMON (CONT'D)
I like your work; and you shall find I like it. Wait attendance till you hear further from me.

SEMPRONIUS
The gods preserve ye!

TIMON
Well fare you, gentlemen. Give me your hand, we must dine together.

The three men head inside.

INT. TIMON'S HOUSE (LIVING ROOM) -- LATER
Everyone is enjoying drinks and leisure.
Suddenly Apemantus is in the door. He has on an oversized shirt, baggy pants, a bandanna, a glaring contrast to everyone else; and gradually the conversation tapers off and everyone stares.
Except Timon, who greets his oldest friend with a bright smile.

TIMON
Look, who comes here! Good morrow to thee, gentle Apemantus!

Apemantus looks around the room.

APEMANTUS
Till I be gentle, stay thou for thy good morrow; when thou art Timon's dog, and these knaves honest.

TIMON
Why dost thou call them knaves? Thoust knowest them not.

APEMANTUS
Are they not Athenians?

TIMON
Yes.

APEMANTUS
Then I repent not.

Lucullus juts out his chin. He is a former college football star and party boy whose glory days are on the slow decline.

LUCULLUS
You know me, Apemantus?

APEMANTUS
Thou knowest I do; I called thee by thy name.

Timon LAUGHS, breaking the uneasy silence.

TIMON
Thou art proud, Apemantus.

APEMANTUS
Of nothing so much as that I am not like Timon.

Apemantus turns to go, but Timon steps forward.

TIMON
Whither art going?

APEMANTUS
To knock out an honest Athenian's brains.

TIMON
That's a deed thou'lt die for.

APEMANTUS
Right...if doing nothing be death by the law.

Timon tries to distract his surly friend by grabbing Sempronius' painting, now propped up on a chair.

TIMON
How likest this picture, Apemantus?

APEMANTUS
The best, for the innocence.

TIMON
Wrought he not well that painted it?

APEMANTUS
He wrought better than made the painter; and yet he's but a filthy piece of work.

Sempronius is ready to throw down.

SEMPRONIUS
You're a dog.

APEMANTUS
Thy mother's of my generation; what's she, if I be a dog?

Timon intervenes.

TIMON
Will thy dine with me, Apemantus?

APEMANTUS
No, I eat not lords.

TIMON
(grins)
And thou shouldst, thou'dst anger ladies.

APEMANTUS
Oh, they eat lords; so they come by great bellies.

Timon cracks up.

TIMON
That's a lascivious apprehension!

APEMANTUS
So thou apprehend'st it; take it for thy labor.

Apemantus goes and slouches against a wall.

EXT. STREETS -- CONTINUOUS
We see bright, pretty Flavia energetically cycling down the road on an old-fashioned bike.

EXT. TIMON'S HOUSE -- CONTINUOUS
Flavia comes biking up, her purse in a little basket on the handlebars. She carefully leans the old-fashioned fendered bike and carefully smoothes her dress and hair.
She looks up and the great house and swallows, then ventures in.

INT. TIMON'S HOUSE (LIVING ROOM) -- CONTINUOUS
Flavia stands in the doorway, slightly flushed, looking around, excited, thinking it is her Cinderella moment.
But nobody, especially not her boss, even look up. Everyone is talking in little sullen knots.
A little crestfallen, Flavia sidles along the wall herself.
Apemantus spots Ventidius whispering something to Sempronius, and they SNICKER and tap knuckles.

APEMANTUS
How now, poet?

VENTIDIUS
How now, philosopher.

APEMANTUS
Thou liest.

VENTIDIUS
Art not one?

APEMANTUS
Yes.

VENTIDIUS
Then I lie not.

APEMANTUS
Art not a poet?

VENTIDIUS
Yes.

APEMANTUS
Then thou liest. Look in thy last work, where thou hast feigned him a worthy fellow.

He juts a thumb at Timon, who stands grinning, enjoying his friend's jabs.

VENTIDIUS
That's not feigned; he is so.

APEMANTUS
Yes, he is worthy of thee, and to pay thee for thy labor. He that loves to be flattered is worthy of the flatterer. Heavens, that I were a lord!

TIMON
What would you do then, Apemantus?

APEMANTUS
Ever as Apemantus does now; hate a lord with my heart.

TIMON
What, thyself?

APEMANTUS
Aye.

TIMON
Wherefore?

APEMANTUS
That I had no angry wit to be a lord.

ALCIBIADES strolls in, his stunning date TIMANDRA on his arm. Alcibiades is a sharp dresser, and sharp-eyed, a shark. He is older, as seen by his silver brush cut, and the set of his lantern jaw shows that he's been in a few boardroom battles. He is Timon's CFO.

TIMON
Most welcome sir!

APEMANTUS
All this courtesy! The strain of man's bred out into baboon and monkey.

Alcibiades shakes Timon's hand, and he beams back.

ALCIBIADES
Sir, you have saved my longing, and I feed most hungrily on your sight.

TIMON
Right welcome, sir! Ere we depart, we'll share a bounteous time in different pleasures. Pray you, let us in.

Timon and Alcibiades begin to lead the others into the dining room.
Apemantus looks on sourly. Lucius slips close. Lucius is another night-side player, a clubber, in flashy clothes.

LUCIUS
What time of day is it, Apemantus?

ALCIBIADES
Time to be honest.

LUCIUS
(looks slyly)
That time serves still.

APEMANTUS
The more accursed thou, that still omit'st it.

Lucullus passes them.

LUCULLUS
(coldly)
Thou art going to Lord Timon's feast?

Apemantus thinks, then lifts his slumped shoulders from the wall and straightens.

APEMANTUS
Aye, to see meat fill knaves and wine heat fools.

LUCULLUS
(waves him off)
Fare thee well, fare thee well.

APEMANTUS
Thou art a fool to bid me farewell twice.

LUCULLUS
Why, Apemantus?

APEMANTUS
Shouldst have kept one to thyself, for I mean to give thee none.

Lucius and Lucullus crowd him in, blocking his access to the dining room.

LUCIUS
Hang thyself!

APEMANTUS
No, I will do nothing at thy bidding. Make thy requests to thy friend.

LUCULLUS
Away, unpeacable dog, or I'll spurn thee hence!

APEMANTUS
I will fly, like a dog, the heels of the ass!

Apemantus shoulders past them, and Lucullus makes his move; but Lucius holds him back.

LUCIUS
He's opposite to humanity. Come, shall we in, and taste Lord Timon's bounty? He outgoes the very heart of kindness.

LUCULLUS
He pours it out; Echecratides, the god of gold, is but his steward. Long may he live in fortunes! Shall we in?

LUCIUS
I'll keep you company.

They head into the dining room.

INT. TIMON'S HOUSE (DINING ROOM) -- LATER
Timon sits at the head of a long, fine dining table, set out with china and crystal and candles flickering off of all.
To his right is Alcibiades; his left, alarmingly, is Apemantus. On down the line we see Timandra, Ventidius, Sempronius, Lucius, Lucullus, Varro, the solemn business-like ISIDORE, the hawkeyed lawyer DEMEAS, and others, with Flavia way at the end. Isidore is a severe older woman who looks like she brooks no argument. Demeas is older as well, with piercing eyes and manicured hands.
Sempronius and Ventidius are whispering between themselves. After an elbow from Sempronius, Ventidius stands, and pulls out his checkbook from an inner pocket on his dinner jacket.

VENTIDIUS
Most honored Timon, it hath pleased the gods to remember my father's age, and call him to long peace. He is gone happy, and has left me rich. Then, as in grateful virtue I am bound to your free heart, I do return those talents, doubled with thanks and service, from whose help I derived liberty.

TIMON
Oh, by no means, honest Ventidius. You mistake my love; I gave it freely ever, and there's none can truly say he gives, if he receives.

Ventidius' checkbook disappears in a flash.

VENTIDIUS
A noble spirit!

He sits down abruptly, casting a sidelong glance at Sempronius. Timon stands, glass in hand, and suddenly they all stand and follow suit.

TIMON
Nay, my lords. Ceremony was but devised at first to set a gloss on faint deeds, hollow welcomes, recanting goodness, sorry ere 'tis shown. But where there is true friendship, there needs none. Pray, sit; more welcome are ye to my fortunes than my fortunes to me.

Lucius takes a big swallow.

LUCIUS
My lord, we always have confessed it!

APEMANTUS
Ho, ho, confessed it? Hanged it, have you not?

Lucius glowers, but Timon LAUGHS.

TIMON
O, Apemantus, you are welcome!

APEMANTUS
No. You shall not make me welcome. I come to have thee thrust me out of doors.

TIMON
Fie, thou art a churl; ye've got a humor there does not become a man. Go, let him have a table by himself, for he does neither affect company, nor is he fit for it, indeed.

APEMANTUS
I come to observe; I give thee warning on it.

TIMON
I take no heed of thee; prithee, let my meat make thee silent.

APEMANTUS
I scorn thy meat; 'twould choke me, for I should never flatter thee.
(looks around the table)
O you gods, what a number of men eat Timon, and he sees 'em not! It grieves me to see so many dip their meat in one man's blood; and all the madness is, he cheers them up too. I wonder men dare trust themselves with men. Methinks they should invite them without knives; good for their meat, and safer for their lives.

The first platters of dinner, rich meats and sauces, crisp salads, steaming soups, begin to appear from the kitchen in the hands of Timon's SERVANTS. Wine is poured, Timon first.

TIMON
My lord, in heart; and let the health go round.

Lucullus, eyes wide, reaches to intercept a glass.

LUCULLUS
Let it flow this way, my good lord!

Lucullus chugs down a glass in a couple of hard swallows.

APEMANTUS
Flow this way! A brave fellow! He keeps his tides well. Those healths will make thee and thy state look ill, Timon.

Apemantus stands and holds his palms pressed together in mock piety. Everybody looks at each other, eyes full of questions.

APEMANTUS (CONT'D)
Apemantus' grace.
(clears his throat)
Immortal gods, I crave no pelf. I pray for no man but myself. Grant I may never prove so fond, to trust man on his oath or bond. Or a harlot, for her weeping; or a dog, that seems a-sleeping; or a keeper, for my freedom; or my friends, if I should need 'em. Amen.

Everyone looks at Apemantus, dumbfounded. He gestures, arms wide.

APEMANTUS (CONT'D)
Fall to it. Rich men sin, and I eat root.

Everyone falls to it.
Sempronius, Ventidius, Lucullus, Lucius all start piling their plates full and really digging in.
We see Demeas and Isidore picking at their plates. Demeas seems to be counting up the cost of this dinner in his head.
Timon notices Alcibiades seems lost in thought.

TIMON
Captain Alcibiades, your heart is in the field now.

ALCIBIADES
My heart is ever at your service, my lord.

TIMON
You had rather be at a breakfast of enemies than a dinner of friends.

ALCIBIADES
So they were bleeding new, my lord, there's no meat like 'em. I could wish my best friend at such a feast.

APEMANTUS
Would all those flatterers were thine enemies then, that then thou mightst kill 'em and bid me to 'em!

Lucius pointedly ignores Apemantus.

LUCIUS
Might we but have that happiness, my lord, that you would once use our hearts, whereby we might express some part of our zeals, we should think ourselves forever perfect.

TIMON
O, no doubt, my good friends, but the gods themselves have provided that I shall have much help from you; how had you been my friends else? Why have you that charitable title from thousands, did not you chiefly belong to my heart? I have told more of you to myself than you can with modesty speak in your own behalf; and thus far I confirm you. Why, I have often wished myself poorer, that I might come nearer to you.

Sempronius and Ventidius elbow each other surreptitiously.

TIMON (CONT'D)
O, what a precious comfort 'tis, to have so many, like brothers, commanding one another's fortunes! Mine eyes cannot hold out water, methinks; so forget their faults, I drink to you.

Everyone raises their glasses.

APEMANTUS
Thou weepest to make them drink, Timon.

Ventidius raises his glass a second time.

VENTIDIUS
Joy had the like conception in our eyes, and at that instant like a babe sprung up!

APEMANTUS
Ho ho! I think that babe a bastard.

SEMPRONIUS
I promise you, lord, you moved me much.

APEMANTUS
(mocking)
Much!

Sempronius flinches. Timon turns his attention to the end of the table.

TIMON
Flavia.

Flavia brightens.

FLAVIA
My lord?

TIMON
The little casket bring me hither.

Flavia looks over her shoulder and sees a shipping box sitting on a low table behind her.
She picks it up and brings it to Timon, her face a mix of emotions, largely crestfallen. Timon lifts out a dozen little gift boxes and begins to pass them down.

TIMON (CONT'D)
O my friends, I have one word to say to you. Look you, my good lord, I must entreat you, honor me so much as to advance this jewel. Accept it and wear it.

Apemantus doesn't take one, but just keeps passing. Lucius rips into his, and sees a gold watch.
We see Varro, Demeas, and Isidore looking on with some disapproval.

LUCIUS
I am so far already in your gifts!

Lucullus is already putting his on his wrist.

LUCULLUS
(dryly)
So are we all.

Flavia looks on with some amazement. She leans down to talk quietly in Timon's ear.

FLAVIA
I beseech your honor, vouchsafe me a word; it does concern you near.

TIMON
Near! Why, then, another time I'll hear thee. I prithee, let's be provided to show them entertainment.

FLAVIA
(to herself)
I scarcely know how.

Flavia strides from the room rather quickly.

INT. TIMON'S HOUSE (HALLWAY) -- CONTINUOUS
Flavia picks up her stride, her face red. She veers off into the bathroom and shuts the door.

INT. TIMON'S HOUSE (BATHROOM) -- CONTINUOUS
Flavia sits on the edge of the tub, her elbows on her knees, her face in her hands.

FLAVIA
What will this come to? He commands us to provide, and give great gifts, and all out of an empty coffer. Nor will he know his purse, or yield me this, to show him what a beggar his heart is. Being of no power to make his wishes good, his promises fly so beyond his state that what he speaks is all in debt. He owes for every word; he is so kind that he now pays interest for it. His land's put to their books. Well, would I were gently put out of office before I were forced out! Happier is he that has no friend to feed than such that do even enemies exceed.
(beat)
I bleed inwardly for my lord.

INT. TIMON'S HOUSE (DINING ROOM) -- CONTINUOUS
In the dining room, Timon is still passing out gifts.

TIMON
Here, my lord, a trifle of our love.

VENTIDIUS
With more than common thanks I will receive it.

Sempronius claps eyes on Ventidius' gift and simpers.

SEMPRONIUS
O, he's the very soul of bounty!

Timon beams at Sempronius.

TIMON
And now I remember, my good lord, you have good words the other day of a bay courser I rode on; it is yours, because you liked it.

SEMPRONIUS
O, none so welcome!

TIMON
I take all and your several visitations so kind to heart. 'Tis not enough to give. Methinks, I could deal kingdoms to my friends, and never be weary.
(gestures broadly)
Lights, more lights!

Demeas leans over and whispers something in Varro's ear.

Lucius raises another full glass.

LUCIUS
The best of happiness, honor and fortunes keep with you, Lord Timon!

Timon nods indulgently.

TIMON
Ready for his friends.

Apemantus looks like he got punched in the stomach.

APEMANTUS
What a coil's here! Serving of becks and jutting-out of bums! I doubt whether their legs be worth the sums that are given for 'em. Friendship's full of dregs. Methinks false hearts should never have sound legs, thus honest fools lay out their wealth in courtesies.

TIMON
(laughs)
Now, Apemantus, if thou were not sullen, I would be good to thee!

APEMANTUS
No, I'll nothing. For if I should be bribed too, there would be none left to rail upon thee; and then thou wouldst sin the faster. Thou givest so long, Timon, I fear me thou wilt give away thyself in paper shortly. What need these feasts, pomps, and vain-glories?

Finally Timon begins to lose patience.

TIMON
Nay, and you begin to rail on society once, I am sworn not to give regard to you. Farewell; and come with better music.

Apemantus, his mouth set in a bitter line, pushes himself away from the table and walks out, Timon watching his retreating back. In a moment, he follows.

INT. TIMON'S HOUSE (HALLWAY) -- MOMENTS LATER
Timon catches up to Apemantus and puts a hand on his shoulder. Apemantus whirls.

APEMANTUS
So: Thou wilt not hear me now. Thou shalt not then. I'll lock thy heaven from thee. O, that men's ears should be to counsel deaf, but not to flattery!

Apemantus storms out.

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 United States License.

No comments: