Thursday, April 17, 2008

Timon of Athens, Pt. 4

In this installment of Shakespeare's TIMON OF ATHENS, Timon's most trusted helpdesk employees go out to try and rustle up some money to get Timon's dotcom out of hot water, to no avail. I used one of my favorite exchanges from TITUS ANDRONICUS for the soap opera that Lucullus is watching on TV.

EXT. LUCULLUS' APARTMENT BUILDING -- LATER
Servilius looks up at the building, and checks the box tucked under his arm.

INT. LUCULLUS' APARTMENT -- MOMENTS LATER
Lucullus is working out and watching soaps on TV.

DEMETRIUS
(on TV)
Villain, what hast thou done?

AARON
(on TV)
That which thou canst not undo.

DEMETRIUS
(on TV)
Thou hast undone our mother.

AARON
(on TV)
Villain, I have done thy mother.

The doorbell rings, and Lucullus reluctantly tears himself away.
He opens it to see Servilius studying him.

LUCULLUS
One of Lord Timon's men? A gift, I warrant. Why, this hits right. I dreamt of a silver basin and ewer tonight. Servilius, honest Servilius; you are very respectively welcome, sir.

Servilius comes in and takes a cool look around.

LUCULLUS (CONT'D)
And how does that honorable, complete, free-hearted gentleman of Athens, thy very bountiful good lord and master?

SERVILIUS
His health is well, sir.

LUCULLUS
I am right glad that his health is well, sir. And what hast thou there under thy cloak?

SERVILIUS
Faith, nothing but an empty box, sir. Which, in my lord's behalf, I come to entreat your honor to supply; who, having great and instant occasion to use fifty talents, hath sent to your lordship to furnish him, nothing doubting your present assistance therein.

Lucullus goes to fetch a pair of beers from the fridge. His face shows the strain of his mind calculating.

LUCULLUS
'Nothing doubting,' says he? Alas, good lord! A noble gentleman 'tis, if he would not keep so good a house. Many a time and often I have dined with him, and told him on it, and come again to supper to him, of purpose to have him spend less, and yet he would embrace no counsel, take no warning by my coming. Every man has his fault, and honesty is his.

He hands a bottle to Servilius.

LUCULLUS (CONT'D)
I have noted thee always wise. Here's to thee.

Servilius just sits the bottle down.

SERVILIUS
Your lordship speaks your pleasure.

Lucullus takes a long pull.

LUCULLUS
Draw nearer, honest Servilius. Thy lord's a bountiful gentleman. But thou art wise, and thou knowest well enough, although thou comest to me, that this is no time to lend money, especially upon bare friendship, without security.

Lucullus pulls out his wallet, and idly thumbs off a few bills.

LUCULLUS (CONT'D)
Here's three solidares for thee. Good boy, wink at me, and say thou sawest me not.
(beat)
Fare thee well.

Servilius looks for a moment; then smacks the money out of Lucullus' hand.

LUCULLUS (CONT'D)
Ha! Now I see thou art a fool, and fit for thy master!

Servilius grabs him by the throat and slams him against the wall.

SERVILIUS
May these add to the number that may scald thee! Let molten coin be thy damnation! Thou disease of a friend, and not himself!

Servilius lets Lucullus go, and the two stare at each other for a moment before Servilius stalks out.

EXT. LUCIUS' HOME -- LATER
Flaminius pulls up and sees Lucius washing his car, a boombox playing nearby.
Lucius waves agreeably.


LUCIUS
Flaminius! You are kindly met, sir. Fare thee well.


FLAMINIUS
May it please your honor, my lord has sent--


Lucius stops working.


LUCIUS
Ha! What has he sent? I am so much endeared to that lord; he's ever sending. How shall I thank him, thinkest thou? And what has he sent now?


FLAMINIUS
He only sent his present occasion now, my lord; requesting your lordship to supply his instant use with so many talents.


LUCIUS
I know his lordship is but merry with me.


FLAMINIUS
If his occasion were not virtuous, I should not urge it half so faithfully.


Lucius seems shocked.


LUCIUS
Dost thou speak seriously, Flaminius?


FLAMINIUS
Upon my soul, 'tis true, sir.


Lucius thinks a moment, wiping off his hands with a rag. Then he smiles.


LUCIUS
What a wicked beast was I to disfurnish myself against such a good time, when I might have shown myself honorable! How unluckily it happened, that I should purchase the day before for a little part, and undo a great deal of honored! Flaminius, before the gods, I am not able to do. Commend me bountifully to his good lordship; and I hope his honor will conceive the fairest of me, because I have no power to be kind. Good Flaminius, will you befriend me so far, as to use mine own words to him?


Flaminius takes in the new car, the electronics, the nice clothes, with an eyebrow raised.


FLAMINIUS
Yes, sir, I...shall.


LUCIUS
I'll look you out a good turn, Flaminius.


Lucius goes right back to work. After a moment of dumfounded silence, Flaminius trudges back to his car.

INT. SEMPRONIUS' STUDIO -- LATER
Flavia stands and watches Sempronius stab somewhat ineffectually at a canvas. He barely glances over his shoulder at her.


SEMPRONIUS
Must he need trouble me in it, above all others? He might have tried Lord Lucius or Lucullus; and now Ventidius is wealthy too, whom he redeemed from prison. All these owe their estates unto him.


FLAVIA
My lord, they have all been touched, and found base metal, for they have all denied him.


Now Sempronius seems more interested.


SEMPRONIUS
How! Have they denied him? Has Ventidius and Lucullus denied him? And does he send to me? Three? Hum! It shows but little love or judgment in him. Must I be his last refuge! I'm angry at him, that might have known my place. I see no sense for it, but his occasion might have wooed me first. For, in my conscience, I was the first man that ever received gift from him. And does he think so backwardly of me now, that I'll requite its last?
(beat)
No. So it may prove an argument of laughter to the rest, and amongst lords I be thought a fool. I'd rather than the worth of thrice the sum, had he sent to me first, but for my mind's sake; I'd such a courage to do him good. But now return, and with their faint reply this answer join; who bates mine honor shall not know my coin.


FLAVIA
(snarling)
Excellent! Your lordship's a goodly villain!


She storms out.

EXT. SEMPRONIUS' APARTMENT -- MOMENTS LATER
Flavia's bike is leaning against a light pole. She grabs it, gets on, then thinks a moment.


FLAVIA
This was my lord's best hope; now all are fled, save only the gods.


She puts her foot on the pedal and takes off.


EXT. TIMON'S OFFICE BUILDING -- LATER
Caphis and two other assistants, HORTENSIUS and TITUS, are lounging outside Timon's building when they see Apemantus handing out leaflets nearby.


CAPHIS
Stay, stay, here comes Apemantus; let's have some sport with him.


HORTENSIUS
Hang him, he'll abuse us.


TITUS
A plague upon him, dog!


Caphis sidles up to Apemantus.


CAPHIS
How dost, fool?


APEMANTUS
Dost dialogue with thy shadow?


Caphis butts chests with him.



CAPHIS
Where's the fool now?


Apemantus butts back.


APEMANTUS
He last asked the question. Poor rogues, and usurers' men! Bawds between gold and want!


Hortensius steps up.


HORTENSIUS
What are we, Apemantus?


APEMANTUS
Asses.


HORTENSIUS
Why?


APEMANTUS
That you ask me what you are, and do not know yourselves.


Titus steps up.


TITUS
How dost thou, Apemantus?


APEMANTUS
Would I had a rod in my mouth, that I might answer thee profitably. Go; thou wast born a bastard, and thou't die a bawd.


TITUS
Thou wast whelped a dog, and thou shalt famish a dog's death. Answer not; I am gone.


Titus slinks back to the wall.


APEMANTUS
Even so thou outrunnest grace.


Apemantus looks around. Caphis looks on with hooded eyes, observing Titus' loss of face.


CAPHIS
Thou art not altogether a fool.


APEMANTUS
Nor thou altogether a wise man; as much foolery as I have, so much wit thou lackest.


Apemantus pushes past Caphis and Hortensius and strolls away. The two assistants go back to leaning against the wall, with Titus.


Flaminius arrives on foot. They lift themselves up from where they were leaning.


CAPHIS
(to Hortensius)
Lord Timon's man.
(to Flaminius)
Sir, a word; pray, is my lord ready to come forth?


FLAMINIUS
No, indeed he is not.


CAPHIS
We attend his lordship; pray, signify so much.


FLAMINIUS
I need not tell him that; he knows you are too diligent.


Flaminius disappears inside. Caphis looks at Hortensius and shrugs.
Next they see Servilius coming across the street, taking them both in.


HORTENSIUS
O, here's Servilius; now we shall know some answers.


SERVILIUS
If I might beseech you, gentlemen, to repair some other hour, I should derive much from it; for, take it of my soul, my lord leans wondrously to discontent; his comfortable temper has forsook him; he's much out of health, and keeps his chamber.


CAPHIS
Many do keep their chambers are not sick; and, if it be so far beyond his health, methinks he should the sooner pay his debts, and make a clear way to the gods.


SERVILIUS
(bitterly)
Good gods!


TITUS
We cannot take this for an answer, sir.


Servilius stares them down as he goes past.


A moment later they spot Flavia cycling towards them. She sees them as well, but ignores them and chains her bike up. Hortensius glances at Caphis, then steps up.


HORTENSIUS
By your leave--


Flavia still looks flushed and angry.


FLAVIA
What do ye ask of me, my friend?


HORTENSIUS
We wait for certain money here.


FLAVIA
Aye, if money were as certain as your waiting, 'twere sure enough. Why then preferred you not your sums and bills, when your false masters eat of my lord's meat? Then they could smile and fawn upon his debts and take down the interest into their gluttonous maws. You do yourselves but wrong to stir me up; let me pass quietly.


HORTENSIUS
Aye, but this answer will not serve.


FLAVIA
If 'twill not serve, 'tis not so base as you; for you serve knaves.


Caphis looks on coldly from where he reclines against the wall.


CAPHIS
No matter what; he's poor, and that's revenge enough. Who can speak broader than he that has no house to put his head in? Such may rail against great buildings.


Caphis looks over Flavia's shoulder. She turns and sees several CAMERA CREWS hurrying down the sidewalk towards them.


Flavia ducks her head and slips inside.


Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 United States License.

No comments: