Saturday, April 19, 2008

Timon of Athens Pt. 5

This is some of my favorite work in my modern dress original prose version of Shakespeare's TIMON OF ATHENS. First I took a big chunk of Greek Chorus exposition and made it into a television piece to give it a little oomph (plus using the b-movie trick of getting a lot of little cameos without the rest of the cast around); then you see corporate lawyer Alcibiades, who was a general in the original version, and his fight with the Board of Directors. I thought his argument with the Board of Directors (the Athens town fathers in the original), and his threat to return in battle, was perfect for the corporate takeover scenario seen further on, as the attitudes are, curiously, the same, methinks.


INT. TIMON'S OFFICE (INNER SANCTUM) -- CONTINUOUS
Timon looks out the window, gravely.
From his POV, we see the cameras massing outside, already interviewing Caphis, Titus, and Hortensius.

TIMON
What, are my doors opposed against my passage? Have I been ever free, and must my house be my retentive enemy, my gaol? The place which I have feasted, does it now, like all mankind, show me an iron heart?

Timon strides across the room and turns on the large plasma screen he has mounted there.
Instantly, he sees a graphic reading "ATHENS-OS" and showing the jagged downward line on a graph that indicates a plummeting stock. Timon looks stunned.

TIMON (CONT'D)
Cleave me to the girdle.

Next, he sees LACHES in his office. CG: Laches, Bank of Lacedaemon

LACHES
(on TV)
Mine, fifty talents.

TIMON
Cut my heart in sums.

Next we see another man in his office, THRASYCLES. CG: Thrasycles, Samos Venture Capitalist Group

THRASYCLES
(on TV)
Five thousand crowns, my lord.

TIMON
Five thousand drops pays that!

Now we see Caphis, in front of the building. CG: Caphis, Assistant to the Board of Directors, Athens-OS

CAPHIS
(on TV)
Faith, I perceive our masters may throw their caps at their money. Those debts may well be called desperate ones, for a madman owes 'em.

Timon watches, steely-eyed.

TIMON
Tear me, take me; let the gods fall upon you!

Flavia appears at his shoulder, tentatively. He notices her there, then turns back to the TV.

TIMON (CONT'D)
They have even put my breath from me, the slaves. Creditors? Devils!

FLAVIA
My dear lord--

TIMON
What if it should be so?

FLAVIA
My lord--

TIMON
I'll have it so.

He turns back to Flavia.

TIMON (CONT'D)
Go, bid all my friends again, Lucius, Lucullus, and Sempronius; all, sirrah, all. I'll once more feast the rascals.

Flavia looks shocked.

FLAVIA
O my lord, you only speak from your distracted soul. There is not so much left, to furnish out a moderate table.

TIMON
Be it not in thy care. Go, I charge thee, invite them all. Let the tide of knaves once more, my cook and I'll provide.

He turns his attention back to the TV as Flavia tries to take this news in.

EXT. STREETS -- CONTINUOUS
We see the TV images full-screen, a series of interviews. First is PHILIADES.

PHILIADES
Who, the Lord Timon? He is my very good friend, and an honorable gentleman.

Next we see HOSTILIUS.

HOSTILIUS
We know him for no less, though we are but strangers to him. But I can tell you one thing. My lord, and which I hear from common rumors, now Lord Timon's happy hours are done and past, and his estate shrinks from him.

Next, Alcibiades, pushing cameras away. CG: Alcibiades, CFO, Athens-OS

ALCIBIADES
Fie, no, do not believe it; he cannot want for money.

Next we see TISAPHERNES, walking down the sidewalk.

TISAPHERNES
But believe you this, my lord, that, not long ago, one of his men was with the Lord Lucullus to borrow so many talents, nay, urged extremely for it and showed what necessity belonged to it, and yet was denied.

PHILOTUS (O.S.)
How?

TISAPHERNES
I tell you, denied, my lord.

Then Tisaphernes picks up the pace and is gone.

We see Servilius, in front of his own apartment building. CG: Servilius, HelpDesk Support, Athens-OS

SERVILIUS
What a strange case was that! Now, before the gods, I am ashamed on it. Denied that honorable man! There was very little honor showed in it.

Next is Demeas, at a podium, making an official press statement. CG: Demeas, Legal Counsel, Athens-OS

DEMEAS
I wonder on it; he was wont to shine at seven.

Next we see PHILOTUS, a serious but perfectly coifed reporter, doing a stand-up in the busy streets. CG: Philotus, First Folio News

PHILOTUS
Ay, but the days are waxed shorter with him. You must consider that a prodigal course is like the sun's. But not, like his, recoverable. I fear 'tis deepest winter in Lord Timon's purse; that one may reach deep enough, and yet find little.

We see the screen dip to BLACK, as if the TV was shut off.

INT. TIMON'S OFFICE (BOARDROOM) -- CONTINUOUS
Alcibiades steps away from turning off the television that the somber boardroom is watching. We see Varro, Isidore, Demeas, and other angry or worried faces looking back at Alcibiades, with assistants like Caphis, Hortensius, and Titus lurking in the background. This is the board of directors of Athens-OS, and they have seen better days.

VARRO
My lord, you have my voice to it; The fault's bloody; 'tis necessary he should die. Nothing emboldens sin so much as mercy.

DEMEAS
Most true; the law shall bruise him.

ALCIBIADES
I am a humble suitor to your virtues; for pity is the virtue of the law, and none but tyrants use it cruelly. It pleases time and fortune to lie heavy upon a friend of mine, who, in hot blood, hath stepped into the law, which is past depth to those that, without heed, do plunge into it.

VARRO
You undergo too strict a paradox, striving to make an ugly deed look fair. He's truly valiant that can wisely suffer the worst that man can breathe, and make his wrongs his outsides, to wear them like his rainment, carelessly, and never prefer his injuries to heart, to bring it into danger.

ALCIBIADES
My lord--

VARRO
You cannot make gross sins look clear.

ALCIBIADES
I say, my lords, he has done fair service, and slain in fight many of your enemies.

DEMEAS
He has made too much plenty with them; he's a sworn rioter. He has a sin that often drowns him, and takes his valor prisoner. His days are foul and his drink dangerous.
Alcibiades can't believe what he's hearing, and grows more angry by the moment.

ALCIBIADES
Hard fate!
(beat, thinks)
My lords, if not for any part of him--though his right arm might purchase his own time and be in debt to none--yet, more to move you, take my deserts to his, and join them both. And, for I know your reverend ages love security, I'll pawn my victories, all honors to you, upon his good returns.

DEMEAS
We are for law; he dies. Urge it no more, on height of our displeasure.

ALCIBIADES
Must it be so? It must not be. My lords, I do beseech you, know me.
Isidore finally leans forward, her fingers steepled.

ISIDORE
How?

ALCIBIADES
Call me to your remembrances.

ISIDORE
What!

She leans back.

ALCIBIADES
I cannot think but your age has forgot me. It could not else be, I should prove so base, to sue, and be denied such common grace. My wounds ache at you.

VARRO
Do you dare our anger? 'Tis in few words, but spacious in effect.
(beat)
We banish thee forever.

Alcibiades SLAMS the table.

ALCIBIADES
Banish me? Banish your dotage, banish usury, that makes the senate ugly.

VARRO
If after two days' shine, Athens contain thee, attend our weightier judgment.

Alcibiades stares around the table, looking each person full in the face. Then he snaps his briefcase shut and, with a curt nod, storms out.

An uncomfortable silence follows, as the board looks at each other.

INT. TIMON'S OFFICE (HALLWAY) -- MOMENTS LATER
Alcibiades stalks down the hall, his face clouded with fury. We see workers dodging out of his way as Alcibiades suddenly puts foot to handy trash can, shredded documents flying.

ALCIBIADES
(to himself)
Now the gods keep you old enough; that you may live only in bone, that none may look on you! I'm worse than mad; I have kept back their foes, while they have told their money and let out their coin upon large interest, I myself rich only in large hurts. All those for this? Banishment! It comes not ill. I hate not to be banished, it is a cause worthy my spleen and fury, that I may strike at Athens. I'll cheer up my discontented troops, and lay for hearts. 'Tis honor with most lands to be at odds; soldiers should brook as little wrongs as gods.

He walks out of frame.


Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 United States License.

No comments: