Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Timon of Athens Pt. 6

In this installment of my modern dress, original prose version of Shakespeare's TIMON OF ATHENS, a down-and-out Timon finally busts a proverbial cap in the asses of his false friends.



EXT. TIMON'S HOUSE -- EVENING
A pretty sunset behind Timon's house. We see guests arriving.
A more vociferous clot of reporters are hustling around the perimeter. Lucullus goes by with his coat over his face, but others, like Ventidius, are being interviewed.
We see Lucius running the gauntlet and taking it all in.

INT. TIMON'S HOUSE (LIVING ROOM) -- MOMENTS LATER
Lucius strolls in and spots Sempronius.


SEMPRONIUS
The good time of day to you, sir.


LUCIUS
I also wish it to you. I think this honorable lord did but try us this other day.
Sempronius looks around, then leans in conspiratorally.


SEMPRONIUS
Upon that were my thoughts tiring, when we encountered. I hope it is not so low with him as he made it seem in the trial of his several friends.


LUCIUS
It should not be, by the persuasion of his new feasting.


SEMPRONIUS
(airily)
I should think so. He hath sent me an earnest inviting, which many my near occasions did urge me to put off. But he hath conjured me beyond them, and I must needs appear.


LUCIUS
In like manner was I in debt to my importunate business, but he would not hear my excuse. I am sorry, when he sent to borrow of me, that my provision was out.


SEMPRONIUS
(oily)
I am sick of that grief too, as I understand how all things go.


LUCIUS
Every man here's so.


Timon appears at the door to the dining room, beaming.


TIMON
With all my heart, gentlemen both; and how fare you?


LUCIUS
Ever at the best, hearing well of your lordship.


SEMPRONIUS
The swallow follows not summer more willing than we follow your lordship.


Timon looks like he's ready to say something, but instead ushers them in.

INT. TIMON'S HOUSE (DINING ROOM) -- CONTINUOUS
Lucius and Sempronius soon meet Lucullus, Ventidius, and others, coming in on their heels. All are met as hearty fellows.
Sempronius claps eyes on the elaborate silver-domed dishes at every place, and touches Timon's arm, a greasy smile on his face.


SEMPRONIUS
I hope it remains not unkindly with your lordship that I returned you an empty messenger.


TIMON
O, sir, let it not trouble you.


Lucius looks a little embarrassed.


LUCIUS
My lord--


TIMON
Ah, my good friend, what cheer?


LUCIUS
My most honorable lord, I am even sick of shame, that, when your lordship this other day sent to me, I was unfortunate a beggar.


TIMON
Think not on it, sir.


LUCIUS
Had you been but two hours before--


TIMON
Let it not cumber your better remembrance.


Timon takes his place at the head of the table.


TIMON (CONT'D)
Come, bring in all together!


Everyone gets a good look at the silver-covered dish waiting at every chair.


SEMPRONIUS
All covered dishes!


He eagerly takes his seat.


Lucius slips into the chair next to Ventidius.


LUCIUS
Royal cheer, I warrant you.


VENTIDIUS
Doubt not that, if money and the season can yield it.


Sempronius leans over, in an exagerrated pose of confidentiality.


SEMPRONIUS
How do you? What's the news?


VENTIDIUS
Alcibiades is banished; hear you of it?


SEMPRONIUS
(eyes round)
Alcibiades banished!


VENTIDIUS
'Tis so, be sure of it.


LUCIUS
How? How?


SEMPRONIUS
I pray you, upon what?


Timon looks narrowly down the table, but then smiles again.


TIMON
My friends, will you draw near?


VENTIDIUS
(quietly)
I'll tell you more anon. Here's a noble feast toward.


Timon stands.


TIMON
Each man to his stool, with that spur as he would to the lip of his mistress; your diet shall be in all places alike.
(beat)
The gods require our thanks.


Everyone bows their heads.


TIMON (CONT'D)
You great benefactors, sprinkle our society with thankfulness. For your own gifts, make yourselves be praised; but reserve still to give, lest your deities be despised. Lend to each man enough, that one need not lend to another; for, were your godheads to borrow of men, men would forsake the gods. Make the meat be beloved more than the man that gives it. Let no assembly of twenty be without a score of villains. If there sit twelve women at the table, let a dozen of them be--as they are. The rest of your feed, O gods--the senators of Athens, together with the common lag of people--what is amiss in them, you gods, make suitable for destruction. For these my present friends, as they are to me nothing, so in nothing bless them, and to nothing they are welcome.


Everyone has dropped their jovial masks, begun looking sicker, and more scared and uncomfortable, as Timon builds a head of steam. He looks around the table, eyes gleaming, teeth bared.


TIMON (CONT'D)
Uncover, dogs, and lap.


Slowly, carefully, everyone reveals their covered plates.
From various POVs we see bowls filled with water, and a stone in the center of each one.
Sempronius' jaw swings open.


SEMPRONIUS
What does his lordship mean?


LUCULLUS
I know not.


Timon's cold fury is turned on them.


TIMON
May you a better feast never behold, you knot of mouth-friends! Smoke and lukewarm water is your perfection! This is Timon's last; who, stuck and spangled with your flatteries, washes it off, and sprinkles in your faces your reeking villainy!
Timon overturns bowls and splashes his guests. They begin to jump from their seats, stunned.
Live loathed and long, most smiling, smooth, detested parasites, courteous destroyers, affable wolves, meek bears...you fools of fortune, trencher-friends, time's flies, cap and knee slaves, vapors, and minute-jacks! Of man and beast the infinite malady crust you quite over!


Sempronius SHRIEKS in terror. Everyone heads for the doors, as Timon begins to throw rocks, bowls, plates, utensils, everything.


TIMON
What, dost thou go? Soft! Take thy physic first--thou too--and thou--stay, I will lend thee money, borrow none!


Timon pursues them.

INT. TIMON'S HOUSE (LIVING ROOM) -- CONTINUOUS
Everyone is scattering under Timon's assault.


TIMON
What, all in motion? Henceforth be no feast, where at a villain's not a welcome guest!


Timon is alone. He raises his fists and closes his eyes.


TIMON (CONT'D)
Burn, home! Sink, Athens! Henceforth hated be of Timon man and all humanity!
He drops to his knees, consumed with his rage.

EXT. TIMON'S HOUSE -- CONTINUOUS
A handful of shocked guests remain, stumbling around.


LUCIUS
How now, my lords!


SEMPRONIUS
(sniffling)
Know you the quality of Timon's fury?


VENTIDIUS
Push!
(beat)
Did you see my cap?


LUCULLUS
I have lost my gown.


SEMPRONIUS
He's but a mad lord, and nought but humor sways him. He gave me a jewel the other day, and now he has beat it out of my hat.
(beat)
Did you see my jewel?


LUCULLUS
Here lies my gown.


LUCIUS
Let's make no stay.


SEMPRONIUS
Lord Timon's mad!


VENTIDIUS
I feel it upon my bones.


LUCULLUS
One day he gives us diamonds, next day stones.


Suddenly Timon's car comes ROARING past. They all watch it peel out, and he is gone.


Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 United States License.

No comments: