Tuesday, February 17, 2004

All the Young Dudes

Tonight I'm going to record my audio commentary for the DVD release of PETER ROTTENTAIL and hopefully not talk out of my ass the entire time. I'm also hoping to lock in a rewrite on what I think is going to be a pretty good project, more details to follow.

I had to give my scriptwriting class my lecture on talent the other day. This is the one where I say talent is an empty bucket, and it has to be filled with things, like projects, and deadlines, and discipline, and commitment. There's so many people that think they are going to graduate and say, "Everybody who thinks I'm cool line up over here with job offers," and it just ain't gonna happen. That's akin to sitting under a tree in your tighty whities waiting for the muse to descend from a cloud. Instead you've got to put your butt in the chair and work, even when the Pacers are on in the room next door. There is no doubt an electric spark of art in writing; but a lot of it is the low, steady thrumming of craft.

Give me a yell at johnoakdalton@hotmail.com.

No comments: