Thursday, June 10, 2004

Billy the Kid vs. Dracula

A while back I said that I really had no advice for anyone, except to keep your mouth closed when refilling the water softener.

But I guess I do: If you are going to be a team player, make sure your name is penciled into the lineup first.

Let me add one corollary to that. I think I said this here before, but Jon McBride (Wayne in AMONG US) once told me you can't really help other people move their careers forward, because it takes all of your energy and resources to take care of your own. But, if you get propelled forward, you can bring people in your wake; likewise, if someone else gets rocketed forward, they might look around for their friends and pull you along.

So you can't push somebody else's career ahead; but you can pull, or be pulled.

That makes "don't burn bridges" an unspoken addition, I suppose. It really is true that you don't know who you'll see on the way up or the way down. I can tell you firsthand, having been a little ways up and some ways down, from time to time.

I've had a few personal and professional setbacks lately, which may have sent me on this philosophical bender; so that's probably enough for now.

'Til then, holler back at johnoakdalton@hotmail.com.

No comments: