Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Takin' It To The Streets

On days that movies I worked on street I like to drive around and try to find them. It gets harder and harder as I continue to move to smaller places, but it is still fun and gives you a sense of perspective. A lot of people have expressed to me how easy it would be to go out and make any old b-movie, if only they would degrade themselves enough to bother to do it. But the truth is that it is incredibly hard. Not only just the writing, which is where it starts, but finding someone to actually make it, and then find someone to actually put it out there in some form. I have been hired to work on more than fifteen scripts in the last handful of years and close to half of those you can actually find anywhere--and I would consider that a good percentage.

It's funny, but when a DVD streets the writer is usually long out of the picture, and it's time for the techs and the actors to shine. I'm not sure, but I think I've written about a half-dozen projects since SEX MACHINE. Longtime readers know that I took about a year off from freelancing because of a career change and some personal stuff, but since I put my name back out there in December I know I have completed four projects. I started a rewrite this weekend for somebody I have wanted to work with for a long time, and I have a project lined up after that, basically filling up my freelance schedule until the 4th of July. If half of these street I will be happy, and if the percentage is higher I will be ecstatic.

Keep an eye on Christopher Sharpe's and Bill Cunningham's websites over the next few days as they start releasing extras and additional materials to support the DVD release of SEX MACHINE.

And, in the meantime, if you see SEX MACHINE anywhere, give me a holler!

No comments: