Thursday, April 15, 2004

Piece of My Heart

A day playing catch-up, so here's a bit more from RING OF THE SORCERESS. Yes, the witch is named after the Pink Floyd song:

CUT TO:
INT. CYMBALLINE'S CABIN -- CONTINUOUS
Peryl and Shadow look at Cymballine with concern as she casts her powers forth. The glowing crystal ball draws Shadow's attention away. He tugs at Peryl.
SHADOW
Peryl, look.
The two peer into the crystal ball, and see the giant creature gnawing on another of the Silent Guard. Then Boris hews at the lizard's soft belly once more.
Suddenly, Cymballine CRIES OUT. The pair turn and stare.
Cymballine pulls her hands away from her midsection and finds them covered in blood. She grits her teeth and concentrates harder.
CUT TO:
EXT. WOODS (CLEARING) -- MOMENTS LATER
The giant lizard lifts a scaled foot.
From the creature's POV, the foot accelerates down and crushes the life out of a ROARING guardsman.
Suddenly, Boris is alone. He sets his jaw grimly and retreats, knowing he will live to fight another day.
CUT TO:
INT. CYMBALLINE'S CABIN -- MOMENTS LATER
Cymballine sits down abruptly in a chair, the air expelling from her lungs. Peryl approaches carefully.
PERYL
I have some healing skills.
CYMBALLINE
I'll use my own resources, thank you. I am still living, after all, and I care not to be a shambling bride to this one.
She gives Shadow a significant look. She reaches for some potions and herbs on a nearby table, her hands shaking.
CYMBALLINE (CONT'D)
My own powers lie in the eddies and whirlpools of time past and present...and as has been said, time heals all wounds.
Cymballine takes several long swallows from a crystal flask, then parts the front of her shredded dress.
Shadow and Peryl see the raw sword-gash heal before their eyes, leaving Cymballine's smooth belly.
Cymballine BELCHES.
CYMBALLINE (CONT'D)
Now then. Night is coming, and the wood is cold. Sleep here, and resume your sojourn on the morn.
Peryl looks uneasy.
CYMBALLINE (CONT'D)
Not to worry. You won't fit in my cookstove, it's only big enough for the village children.
PERYL
Why are you helping us?
Cymballine looks thoughtful.
CYMBALLINE
I have walked this planet for over one hundred years. My command over the sands of time has kept me young. But I am still human.
(beat)
Unlike those who your unruly Queen would keep counsel with.
PERYL
Is that so unlike yourself?
CYMBALLINE
Witches, zombies, vampires...all reflections of humankind, in smoked glass. But these are...other. And I care not for how they toy with this world.
Peryl and Shadow look confused. Cymballine shrugs airily.
CYMBALLINE (CONT'D)
Or mayhaps Queen Esme once stole a boy from me, or her horse shat on the trail before me. Who's to say?
PERYL
No matter the reason, we thank thee.
CYMBALLINE
No thanks needed...the war is yet won.
Cymballine strokes her crystal ball and gazes at it intently.

Give me a yell at johnoakdalton@hotmail.com.

No comments: