Friday, April 30, 2004

Midnight Train to Georgia

It's been a while since I posted anything from my b-fantasy epic DOOMED SWORD RISING, so since my butt's still sore and I'm irritable I'll just post this next part, featuring an alien, of all things:

CUT TO:
INT. CASTLE EBON (QUEEN'S CHAMBERS) -- CONTINUOUS
Esme, now looking more her radiant self, plucks a brush from her table and begins stroking her hair, smiling contentedly.
A gentle RAP comes on the door.
ESME
Enter.
Boris does so, and immediately falls to bended knee.
BORIS
My lady.
ESME
That bloodied mail does not bespeak success.
The queen looks upon Boris coolly.
ESME (CONT'D)
Rise, sir knight.
Boris does so.
BORIS
My lady, more bad news. My entire command was slain at the hands of dire creatures in a haunted wood.
ESME
Dire creatures? The men I sent with you were not milkmaids.
BORIS
As you say.
ESME
Sir Boris, not that many years ago I sent you against the sea-pirates raiding our coast, and you acquitted yourself well. Now I ask you to bring back a girl and a corpse, and you fail me.
BORIS
The times...are different, my queen.
ESME
Oh, the times are different? Mayhaps it is the man. The headsman's blade is sharp, Sir Boris.
BORIS
I saw that for myself just now. I prefer the chance to die in combat, my lady.
ESME
Then I will give you that chance.
(beat)
Our friends from across the sea of stars can raise another army. One you will have trouble leading to their deaths.
BORIS
Raise? From where, good queen?
ESME
Fear not, my captain. They will be people from our own soil.
Boris' eyes shoot sideways as he ponders what this might mean. But he comes back quickly.
BORIS
Mayhaps there is some good news. Though the trail has taken many twists and turns, I believe it may ultimately lead back here.
ESME
Castle Ebon?
For the first time, Esme seems less sure.
ESME (CONT'D)
I buried my son far from here for a reason, Sir Boris. I do not want him returning.
BORIS
I know well, fair Queen. I turned the spade on that pauper's grave with my own hand.
ESME
There seems a note of question in your tone, Sir Boris. You would do well to remember the creedo of your own knights..."Deeds, not Words."
Boris inclines his head and lowers his eyes.
BORIS
Indeed. By your leave, m'lady.
ESME
Given.
Boris turns to leave, and Esme calls out.
ESME (CONT'D)
Sir Boris. I do not want the prince returning to the castle. You must cross swords with this lady monk outside the tower's long shadow.
Boris goes out without another word. When her chamber door slams shut, Esme suddenly appears more tired, more uncertain.
From behind the curtained doorway behind her comes the spillage of red light, and then a grating, hollow, alien voice, as cold as night.
AYOB (O.S.)
Weakness.
Esme turns, and looks at someone--or something--out of sight.
ESME
He was my son.
AYOB (O.S.)
Your seed is but dust. Your body is a husk. The peoples who walk this earth are but memory. Only when you understand this can you travel to our home, across the sea of stars.
ESME
I...I am trying to understand.
AYOB (O.S.)
You will. The ring called me, and I came. Now come to me, my Esme.
Esme steps forward, and allows her robe to fall from bare shoulders. There is a WET SLICK NOISE, and then a grasping tentacle slides under the curtain and gropes toward Esme.
The tentacle, trailing slime, strokes her leg like a tender lover.
A second tentacle emerges. This one sports a large white bone, like a fang, or a stinger.
Esme begins to MOAN with anticipation. Her ring GLOWS with unnatural fire.
Suddenly the tentacle whips around with an incredible force, and plants itself in the back of her neck.
Esme's eyes bulge; then she relaxes.
A trickle of blood makes it way down her firm back. Her MOANS OF PLEASURE become louder.
AYOB (CONT'D)
I will gather an army for you, my queen...I will call my servants from across the land...we will unite this plane with steel and fire...


Give me a yell at johnoakdalton@hotmail.com.

No comments: