Tuesday, November 23, 2004

The Lurking Fear

Strangest spam I got ever, and here is the entire text of the message:

delphi subsistent loggerhead arlen arragon froze logic alabamian pliers redstart

If this was a Robert Ludlum novel, this email would send me off on a world-spanning adventure to uncover a government conspiracy formed in the darkest days of World War II.

Or if this was an H.P. Lovecraft story, a gate to an unknowable dimension would pop open and rob me of my sanity.

Speaking of fantasy stories, have you noticed that a lot of them start with some farm boy in a backwater somewhere who is actually destined to marry a queen and be a great ruler and all the politics and machinations of the entire planet have secretly been revolving around his arrival for a few centuries or so? This would be like me somehow meeting Chelsea Clinton and becoming the president. I'd love to write a novel where the old wizard shows up and says, "Eh. You're just a farm boy. Now take my steed to the stables."

This weekend I went to see an excellent staging of Shakespeare's "Comedy of Errors" at Ball State University. It was an offbeat adaptation, with nods to surrealistic painting, and done with a techno music backbeat. Nicely done, and makes me think about reverse engineering my Shakespeare adaptation back to a play from a screenplay.

Give me a yell at johnoakdalton@hotmail.com.

No comments: