Tuesday, September 30, 2003

Carnivores

So Saturday night I went to a dinner party where they were serving an "Atkins Diet" meal. This is the "meat diet," for lack of a better term. This seems crazy to me. It reminds me of that scene in Woody Allen's SLEEPER where they find out in the future that hot fudge is good for you. Good meal, though. I like a good BBQ, but even I'm not sure I could eat all that meat all the time.

Speaking of carnivores, here's more from AMONG US. This is the scene where they find the cairn, which we couldn't build up quite as high as what I imagined here. I'm not sure I know exactly what I was thinking. Low angles saved the day.

CUT TO:
EXT. WOODS (RIVER) -- LATER
The trio are making their way downriver, looking for a place to cross.
JENNIFER
I was down here the day before yesterday...I know I saw a footbridge.
WAYNE
There's a highway bridge a few miles away...we can take the car.
JENNIFER
It'll take too long. I want to show you this before nightfall.
CUT TO:
EXT. WOODS (BRIDGE) -- LATER
Wayne, laden down with equipment, is trailing Billy and Jennifer as they race across the river.
CUT TO:
EXT. WOODS (RIVER) -- LATER
The threesome make their way more carefully along the opposite bank. Jennifer spies back across the river.
JENNIFER
There's the cabin...it shouldn't be too much farther now.
Suddenly Billy stops short.
BILLY
Jennifer...we're there.
The camera spins to show a very large pyramid of rocks stacked up, four feet high or more.
Immediately Wayne is snapping pictures.
JENNIFER
What's that look like to you?
WAYNE
It's a cairn. They've been found all over the world for centuries. They are used for burial sites, or to mark someplace...or something.
(beat)
They are not uncommon in bigfoot sightings.
Billy immediately reaches for a rock, to start bringing the structure down. Wayne, shocked, stays his hand.
WAYNE (CONT'D)
What are you doing, Billy?
BILLY
Right now, that's just a pile of rock. Until we find out what's at the bottom.
WAYNE
I don't think you should do that.
BILLY
Why not?
WAYNE
I just don't think you should touch it, that's all.
Jennifer hugs herself uneasily.
JENNIFER
Billy, there's probably nothing but a couple of used condoms and an empty beer can under all of that anyway.
Now Billy seems surprised.
BILLY
And there could be a baby bigfoot skeleton under there.
(beat)
What's with you two all of a sudden? Everything about bigfoot sightings is always like, "I was shooting some footage when my tape broke," or "I took some pictures of it but they didn't come out," or "The rain washed the tracks away." I mean, here it is, folks.
Wayne looks miffed.
WAYNE
I took pictures at my nephew's birthday party two weeks ago, and the whole roll didn't come out. Nobody thought that was a government cover-up or conspiracy.
BILLY
Just tell me one thing, Wayne. How many times have people reported getting attacked by a bigfoot? Confirmed attacks?
WAYNE
Confirmed, none. The validity of every claim has been in question. But that doesn't mean--
BILLY
Oh, just quit lecturing for five minutes, Wayne.
Billy starts methodically taking down the cairn, while Wayne and Jennifer look on uncomfortably. The camera wanders away from the scene.
DISSOLVE TO:
EXT. WOODS (RIVER) -- LATER
Soon Billy is done, with nothing to show for it but a patch of dirt. He looks tired and deflated. Wayne is carefully considering a rounded stone. Billy sees his interest and looks flushed.
BILLY
(barks)
Jesus Christ, it's only a rock!
Wayne, startled, drops the stone like the proverbial hot rock. Instantly Billy deflates again.
BILLY (CONT'D)
Shit, I'm sorry, Wayne.
Wayne MUMBLES something and starts to clean up his gear. Jennifer turns away from Billy.
The only sound is the wind in the trees.
DISSOLVE TO:

Give me a yell at johnoakdalton@hotmail.com.

No comments: