Friday, September 05, 2003

I found out that the Polonia Brothers are shooting scenes for RAZORTEETH this weekend after polishing off a chunk of second unit stuff last week. It's hard to believe this is coming so soon on the hairy heels of AMONG US. But to keep up with their commitment to put together four features this year the kettle's got to keep boiling. Which means I hope to finish DEMONS ON A DEAD END STREET this weekend and start polishing PETER ROTTENTAIL next week.

I've decided I don't like writing with the laptop. Too many distractions, especially now that football season has started. Baseball is mellow enough that I can write to it, but not football, unfortunately. And I can never get comfortable. I could never be one of those guys that sits in his underwear under a tree writing poetry. I work better sitting upright in a chair, at a desk, typing away.

A few years ago I did a relaxation exercise where I sort of ended up hypnotized/asleep/whatever and could have sworn I was sitting at my desk made out of a closet door in my bedroom in my parent's house, typing on my Smith Corona. It was so real I could even hear the muffled TV through the wall next to my bed. It's sort of what got me back to writing again. So maybe that's why I like sitting at a desk when I write.

Speaking of writing, here's some more from AMONG US:


CUT TO:
EXT. BOOKSTORE -- DAY
Billy looks nervous as he approaches the bookstore, a camera in tow. Billy looks at the camera.
BILLY
Ten years...ten years is a long time. But here I am.
CUT TO:
INT. BOOKSTORE -- MOMENTS LATER
JENNIFER DEMPSEY, 30s, smart and pretty, stands behind a counter in a cozy, cluttered secondhand book shop. Working alongside her is LESLIE, a pierced and tattooed girl in Buddy Holly glasses.
Jennifer looks stunned for a long moment when Billy comes in with a nervous smile. Then she murmurs to Leslie.
JENNIFER
Get the thickest book you can find. A Tom Clancy or a Stephen King might do it.
Leslie looks shocked, then slips away quickly into the stacks.
Billy ambles up to the counter and licks his lips.
BILLY
Hey, Jennifer. Long time, no see.
Jennifer waits a LONG MOMENT.
JENNIFER
You fucking bastard.
Billy holds his hands out wide.
BILLY
I came a long way.
JENNIFER
Unless you came from hell, you didn't come far enough.
Leslie slips a thick book into Jennifer's hand. Billy eyes it warily.
JENNIFER (CONT'D)
You ruined my life.
BILLY
It looks like you've done pretty well for yourself.
JENNIFER
I've had to hide in here. You made me a laughing stock in my hometown.
BILLY
Some people might say...that I made you a star.
JENNIFER
A star.
She hefts the book and sizes Billy up.
JENNIFER (CONT'D)
I sold you my story. You said you were going to do it right. But then you hired a stripper to play me. And then you had me masturbating in the shower while a bigfoot watched through the window!
BILLY
You know, some things...had to be changed. Streamlined. There were investors--
JENNIFER
YOU HAD ME GETTING OFF WITH A BIGFOOT!
She wings the book, and Billy dodges it.
BILLY
Jesus Christ!
JENNIFER
What are you here for? Are you making "Bigfoot Does Dallas?"
Billy lifts his hands in supplication.
BILLY
Just hear me out...
JENNIFER
(to Leslie)
Don't bother getting something off the shelf. Hand me the phone book.
Billy starts, ducks his head, and slips out, the camera close behind.
CUT TO:
EXT. BOOKSTORE -- MOMENTS LATER
Billy slows down and expels a long breath. He glances toward the camera.
BILLY
Well, that went well. You want to get a latte, Ray?
Suddenly the door to Jennifer's shop JINGLES open, and Billy instinctively ducks.
JENNIFER (O.S.)
Hey.
Billy turns and spies Jennifer.
JENNIFER (CONT'D)
I've waited ten years. It's not over that quickly.
Jennifer inches up on Billy as he backs away.
JENNIFER (CONT'D)
You said there was going to be a big premiere. It was at the fucking drive in! You said the bigfoot would be realistic. You used an ape suit!
Billy juts out a finger.
BILLY
Now wait. An ape suit you can get. But who rents bigfoot suits? And isn't a bigfoot in the ape family ultimately?
Jennifer narrows her eyes.
JENNIFER
You sniveling little bastard. Just tell me. Tell me why you oozed back here.
Billy just shakes his head and walks away. Jennifer pursues him.
JENNIFER (CONT'D)
No, you tell me. I put myself in your hands...my whole self. I told you my story. And you treated it like shit. After you promised it would be right. Now what do you want?
Billy falters for a moment.
BILLY
I--I'm just...I'm sorry, alright?
Billy keeps walking.
JENNIFER
That's it, huh? After ten years? After ten years you just stutter it out? That's piss-poor. Why now, huh? Why now?
Billy whirls.
BILLY
BECAUSE IT HAPPENED TO ME!
He takes a long breath.
BILLY (CONT'D)
Because it happened to me.

Give me a yell at johnoakdalton@hotmail.com.

No comments: