Wednesday, September 03, 2003

So what are my influences right now? I've been reading a lot of manga, especially LONE WOLF AND CUB; probably one of the most influential milestones in comicdom, impacting all kinds of writers and artists (and me, down in the bottom of the pile somewhere) with its own sense of morality and honor. And I've been listening to a lot of Johnny Cash and 70s soul; the former for its raw emotion, the latter to cheer me up and give me the energy to keep going.

Several people have asked to read AMONG US, my Bigfoot script coming out on DVD in early 04. So here it is, a few humble scenes at a time. By the time I have it all posted, the movie should probably be out!


FADE IN:
INT. INTERVIEW ROOM -- NIGHT
The WHEELS of a TAPE RECORDER turn in extreme close-up. Only VOICES are heard, over OPENING CREDITS.
KEN (V.O.)
You ain't going to use my face?
BILLY (V.O.)
This is audio recording only.
KEN (V.O.)
Because I can't have nobody know about this. I got a job.
BILLY (V.O.)
Just describe what happened.
KEN (V.O.)
Me and the boy were camping in the state forest. We heard it after dark. It wasn't like nothing I ever heard.
A SLOW DISSOLVE to the same tape recorder, out wider.
PATRICIA (V.O.)
I was driving out by the state hospital. So you always keep your eyes out, you know?
BILLY (V.O.)
What do you mean?
PATRICIA (V.O.)
Once in high school I saw a guy walking along with long sleeves. You know, extra long? I found out later somebody escaped.
BILLY (V.O.)
What did you see that night?
Long PAUSE.
PATRICIA (V.O.)
A big guy. Reminded me of The Chief, like in "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest"? Only this guy...
Long PAUSE.
PATRICIA (V.O.) (CONT'D)
Only he was covered with hair.
DISSOLVE TO:
EXT. HIGHWAY -- NIGHT
A lone car is cruising down the road, its twin beams cutting through the night.
The car begins to CHUG and RATTLE, and eventually coasts to the shoulder of the road.
A young man, JASON, and his exasperated girlfriend, TORI, get out and look under the hood.
TORI
Why do you think you can fix everything yourself? You needed to get a mechanic!
Jason roots around in silence.
TORI (CONT'D)
You don't even have a map in this car! How are we supposed to get help?
Jason slams the hood with a resounding CLANG.
JASON
There was a rest stop only about a mile back.
TORI
(brusquely)
Oh, only a mile? Great!
CUT TO:
EXT. WOODS -- NIGHT
POV shot tracks through the woods, bending limbs aside, revealing the highway beyond and the stranded pair. A GRUNT and SMACKING OF LIPS is heard.
DISSOLVE TO:
EXT. HIGHWAY -- LATER
Jason and Tori walk dejectedly towards the rest stop, Tori NAGGING at Jason's heels the whole way. Suddenly, a HOWL breaks Tori's diatribe.
The two stop cold, and fall silent.
TORI
What was that?
JASON
Probably just a coyote. Let's keep going.
TORI
You think THAT was a coyote?
But she rushes to catch up to Jason.
CUT TO:
EXT. REST STOP -- NIGHT
Tori and Jason come up on the eerily quiet building, with an empty parking lot stretching in front of it.
TORI
Well, I hope there's at least a park ranger here.
JASON
Rest stops don't have park rangers, but there's probably an attendant.
While Jason goes inside the building, Tori wanders over to an outside park bench and sits down nervously. She jumps up, startled.
TORI
GROSS!
She starts trying to wipe something sticky from her pants.
A moment later, Jason appears with a flashlight, shining it around.
JASON
I didn't find anybody, but someone left a flashlight just laying around, so I grabbed it.
TORI
Well, let's get out of here, this place is dirty. I just sat in somebody's spill--
Jason shines the light on her, and sees that her pants are stained crimson.
TORI (CONT'D)
OH MY GOD!! WHAT IS THAT?!
JASON
I think...it's blood.
Suddenly the HOWL starts up again.
CUT TO:
EXT. WOODS -- CONTINUOUS
POV from the woods to the rest stop, picking up speed as it closes on the shocked faces of Jason and Tori. Jason points the flashlight straight ahead, SCREAMING as the screen DISSOLVES TO A DAZZLING WHITE.


You can give me a yell at johnoakdalton@hotmail.com.


No comments: