Tuesday, September 09, 2003

I got pretty good feedback on DEMONS ON A DEAD END STREET from the Polonia Brothers. Need to flesh out the ending a bit. Even my wife, who makes me pick up spiders in the house with napkins and carefully deposit them on the back porch, was calling for more bloodshed in the finale. I guess I just hate killing people in scripts, unless they deserve it. The only people who bite the dust thus far are a racist, an abusive boyfriend, and some devil-worshippers. I'll see what I can do. Maybe if I make one of the characters a Republican it will be easier.

Here's some more from AMONG US:


CUT TO:
EXT. SMALL-TOWN STREETS -- DAY
Billy paces down the sidewalk.
BILLY
You know, that's cool. That's one person. I'm going to meet with some other people when I'm in town. We premiered "Hunger of Bigfoot" at the drive-in here about ten years ago. I'm going to do a poster signing at the video store here.
GREENBAUM (O.S.)
Billy? Billy D'Amato?
Billy turns and sees BOB GREENBAUM, a serious, scholarly sort, walking towards him. Billy juts out his hand.
BILLY
How you doin'?
GREENBAUM
I don't know if you remember me, but I'm Bob Greenbaum. I teach at the community college now, but back when you did the "Bigfoot" thing here I was writing for the local paper and I interviewed you.
BILLY
Bob, nice to see you again.
GREENBAUM
I'm glad to have caught you. I was hoping to catch you at the poster signing later.
BILLY
Well, come on out.
Greenbaum starts rooting through a briefcase.
GREENBAUM
I will, I will. I've been writing a book. Interviews with movie directors, based on some of my early stuff from the paper. I'd love to update your interview. Here's a rough draft of the manuscript.
Greembaum hands Billy a sheaf of papers, which he thumbs through.
BILLY
Hey, that's cool.
GREENBAUM
I just got Lance Randas and Victoria Sloan added.
BILLY
What are you calling this book?
GREENBAUM
"Virtual Drive-In."
Billy flips back to the front of the book.
BILLY
The cover says, "Virtual Drive-In: the Wanna-Bes and Fringe-Dwellers of Today's Bargain Basement Cinema."
Greenbaum just looks on.
BILLY (CONT'D)
Sounds kinda long-winded.
GREENBAUM
Yeah, well, everything after the colon is being added by the publisher. What can you do?
BILLY
Yeah, I been there.
He hands the manuscript back.
BILLY (CONT'D)
I'll see you later, then?
GREENBAUM
(nods)
Sounds good.
Greenbaum moves off, and Billy looks into the camera.
BILLY
See? Down one minute, up the next!
CUT TO:
EXT. VIDEO STORE -- NIGHT
The video store is brightly-lit against a quiet night.
CUT TO:
INT. VIDEO STORE -- MOMENTS LATER
Billy sits at a folding table with a stack of posters. Besides a disinterested video clerk, the room is empty.
Then CLAY, a young fan in a black death-metal t-shirt, comes in and makes a beeline for Billy.
CLAY
I'm a really, really big fan.
BILLY
Thanks, bro. How 'bout an autographed "Bride of Bigfoot" poster?
Billy upcaps a pen, but the kid exposes a bare arm.
BILLY (CONT'D)
That'll wash off...you know, if you shower at some point.
CLAY
Could you carve it into my arm? I have a knife.
(beat)
No, that's bad.
(beat)
You know, your movies helped me through some rough spots. You know, help me get out some bad feelings.
BILLY
Uh-huh.
(beat)
Hey, Ray, could you come over here?
CUT TO:
EXT. VIDEO STORE -- AFTERNOON
The night wears on.
CUT TO:
INT. VIDEO STORE -- LATER
Clay has pulled up a chair and is talking earnestly.
CLAY
So in "Bigfoot House Party" there are three different guys playing the bigfoot. In the break-dancing massacre scene, is that Paul Allen, Ray Steele, or Todd Carpenter in the costume?
BILLY
Hmmmm...don't remember that one. Ray?
CLAY
Because I think it's Paul because he's a little taller. Me and some other dudes have a six-pack riding on it.
BILLY
Uhhh...I don't remember exactly.
(looks around)
Where did Ray go?
Clay just nods for a long moment.
CLAY
It's cool. It doesn't matter.
Another more SURLY FAN comes in, to Billy's relief. He starts to look over the posters.
BILLY
Hey, how are you?
SURLY FAN
These your movies?
BILLY
Sure.
SURLY FAN
They suck.
The surly fan turns away dismissively.
In a flash, Clay is up with his hands around the guy's neck. The room is in a clamor.

No comments: