Wednesday, September 10, 2003

On January 16th I wrote in my (paper) journal, "If it is going to be feast or famine, please let it be feast for a little while." I was really at low ebb then. Be careful what you wish for, I guess. I'm going full-tilt boogie on a quick polish over DEMONS ON A DEAD END STREET, then on to PETER ROTTENTAIL, with GIZZARD GUTS waiting in the wings.

And here's some more from AMONG US:


INT. FILM SET -- DAY
RAY STEELE is an easygoing young man in a t-shirt, jeans, and elaborate grip belt. Various film equipment is stacked up around him.
CG: RAY STEELE, CINEMATOGRAPHER
RAY
Critics hate Billy. But the fans love him. Because he's real. And he adds something to everything he works on. Magic. Heart. We worked on a, ah, you know, "mature audiences" romantic film recently. Kind of typical stuff, boy falls for boy, boy loses boy, boy falls for boy's three muscular roommates, you know, typical. But Billy gave it a deeper meaning. Literary stuff.
(beat)
The title? That one was "The Love Prong of J. Alfred Prufrock."
DISSOLVE TO:
EXT. WOODS -- DAY
Two young people are in an intensive make-out session near a half-eaten picnic spread across a checked cloth. The man, DYLAN, happens to look over the his girlfriend KIM'S smooth round shoulder into the woods beyond, where something catches his eye. His lips come away with a wet SMACK.
KIM
What is it?
DYLAN
I dunno...something in those woods.
KIM
It's nothing, Dylan!
DYLAN
Nothing? Probably some perv.
KIM
Come on!
DYLAN
You stay here.
Dylan gets on his feet and starts creeping towards the trees. Kim looks on wide-eyed.
Dylan starts to bat at the underbrush.
DYLAN (CONT'D)
Hey! Whoever's out there better get his ass outta here!
He starts peering around more carefully.
DYLAN (CONT'D)
Hey, goddammit!
Feature Kim tracking the sounds of Dylan thrashing in the underbrush as it recedes into the distance. Pretty soon there is no sound at all.
KIM
Dylan!
(beat)
Dylan, I don't like this screwing around!
Kim starts to gather everything up, keeping one eye on the woods.
KIM (CONT'D)
This is the last time! I'm sick of this bullshit! I've told you I don't like to be scared! No more Halloween masks and rubber knives and that shit!
She stops, and eyes the woods narrowly.
KIM (CONT'D)
I will take this shit and leave! Then how will you get back to town?
Kim begins to clean everything up in earnest. She takes an armload of picnic debris to her boyfriend's low-slung sports car.
Suddenly, a blood-curdling SCREAM rips from the woods, causing Kim to drop most of her things.
She looks between the car and the woods, the car and the woods. Then she starts inching towards the woods himself.
KIM (CONT'D)
My brother said he was going to KICK YOUR ASS if I wanted him to! And I about want him to!
She is deeper in the trees now, looking around fearfully.
KIM (CONT'D)
(small voice)
Dylan?
She hears a twig SNAP. Then she turns, and is confronted with a RUBBER ALIEN. She SCREAMS as he reaches for her.
CG: SPACE CANNIBALS (1989)
RAY (V.O.)
I first worked with Billy D'Amato on "Space Cannibals." He gave me my first break, actually.
CUT TO:
INT. FILM SET -- DAY
Ray is relaxing.
RAY
I was into backyard wrestling...you know, me and a bunch of guys beating each other with flourescent tubes, stop signs, baseball bats with barbed wire wrapped around them, that kind of thing. I taped all of our matches and sold them over the Internet. Well, Billy was there checking out this chick what was doing jello wrestling before our matches. She ended up in one of the "Butcher Birthday" movies...you know, the shower scene? Well, I guess they all had shower scenes. Anyway, I showed Billy my tape, next thing I know Billy calls me 'cause his regular D.P. got busted for selling dime bags. And we've been working together ever since. And the cool thing is, I haven't had to use superglue to close up a wound since.


holla back at johnoakdalton@hotmail.com.


No comments: