Monday, March 22, 2004

Cherry Hill Park

Not much time today, so here's a bit more from my RING OF THE SORCERESS, my dark fantasy with, as we'll see in this installment, space aliens and zombies. See, I said it had everything.

CUT TO:
INT. CASTLE EBON (QUEEN'S CHAMBERS) -- MOMENTS LATER
Boris enters the well-appointed room, bowing.
BORIS
M'lady, forgive this disturbance...
Boris' head snaps up as he hears the sounds of soft, orgasmic MOANING from behind a curtained door. Shocked, yet fascinated, Boris holds his ground.
The sounds FADE AWAY, and Boris starts creeping towards the curtained opening. He reaches out his hand.
Suddenly, the curtain snaps back, revealing QUEEN ESME HANGFYR, whose head-to-toe black garments and veil do not hide her beauty.
Boris drops to one knee.
BORIS (CONT'D)
M'lady.
ESME
(drily)
Sir Boris.
Boris stays on one knee, his head down. Out of the corner of his eye, he catches a glimpse of what appears to be a tentacle slithering away behind the curtain. He swallows hard and tries to regain his thoughts.
BORIS
My queen, forgive this disturbance, but you asked me to come to you immediately upon my return.
ESME
I recall. Now rise, Sir Boris. You are the captain of my Silent Guard, not a commoner, and can raise your eyes to mine in my bedchamber.
As she beckons to him, a ring with an unnatural glowing stone shines on one long finger. Boris stands, taking the queen's full measure.
BORIS
The tidings I bring...are not good. The body is gone, and the female monk is afoot, though what she would want with a corpse...
ESME
So it was as we had heard.
BORIS
Aye.
ESME
And the other monks told you nothing?
BORIS
They fought well, those monks, though their back was broken after I slew their master. They finished my three men, but I raised the town militia under your banner, and we returned to put sword to every man and woman and a torch to the abbey.
(beat)
The Order of the Crystal Skull is gone, m'lady.
ESME
As it should be. The sun rises on new gods to worship every day.
Boris says nothing. Esme undoes her veil to sip from a goblet of wine. She is a striking but cruel-eyed beauty. Boris' face plainly registers shock. Esme takes note.
ESME (CONT'D)
You seem to look upon me with revulsion, Sir Boris.
BORIS
No, my queen.
ESME
Then what is it?
Boris struggles for words.
BORIS
It seems...that mourning suits you, my queen.
ESME
Our new allies from the distant sea have provided me with their ointments and potions. Our king died in his sleep not many moons ago, and our lord prince found death by misfortune while hunting a fortnight's past. I will need my youth and strength to rule this kingdom for some time to come.
BORIS
Your allies, from across the distant sea...this "sea of stars"...I cannot find it on any map.
Esme gives Boris a cool look.
ESME
Why, Sir Boris, I did not know you had your letters. But surely you must know that the map-makers in this provincial kingdom do not know everything there is about the world.
(beat)
Which lends me another notion. You seem to be short men-at-arms. In that our newfound allies have offered to help as well. Come.
Esme leads an astounded Boris from her chambers.
CUT TO:
INT. CASTLE EBON (HALLWAY) -- LATER
Boris follows Esme's wake to where several hardened men stand in a cluster. When Esme arrives, Desmond, hanging back at the door and watching apprehensively, snaps to rigid attention.
DESMOND
Hail Queen Esme!
The men fall to one knee, heads bowed.
ESME
Rise and meet your new commander, Sir Boris Halfmoon.
The men look up, a rumbling growl in the back of their throats. Boris sees that these are not quite men after all, but sport a variety of tusks, blunted horns, fangs, snoutlike noses, and other displays of inhumanity.
BORIS
What manner of...men...are these?
ESME
They are newly-knighted men of the Silent Guard. Clearly, your former swordsmen were not up to the task. These you will find more...attentive.
Boris takes this in for a long moment.
BORIS
By your command.
ESME
You know what I task you to do, my captain.
(beat)
Find that girl!
DISSOLVE TO:

Give me a shout out at johnoakdalton@hotmail.com.

No comments: