Thursday, March 25, 2004

Kentucky Rain

Very busy today, so I'll just try to get caught up on my b-fantasy epic RING OF THE SORCERESS. Suprisingly, I've had a few people write emails about it and want to see more.

In blog news, someone found my site by typing in "men in tighty whities."

CUT TO:
EXT. WOODS -- DAY
A SMASH CUT TO a bloody, moaning VILLAGER falling to the dirt. One of Boris' new monstrous Silent Guard turns away, his fangs bloodied. Several other villagers, young and old, are huddled around a wagon in fear.
VILLAGER
Mercy, sir knight.
BORIS
There is mercy for those who serve the queen.
(beat)
Have you seen a female monk come this way?
VILLAGER
Have pity, sir.
BORIS
Pity.
Boris crouches down next to the stunned villager and speaks in a low voice.
BORIS (CONT'D)
It is you who should pity me, though you are lowborn. My queen told me to bury her son in a pauper's grave, and then wanted me to dig him up again. On this fool's errand all of my men were slain, and now monsters stand in their stead. And with them I cannot find one young grave-robbing maiden.
Boris realizes that he has been talking to himself for a few moments, as the villager's eyes have glazed over. Boris wearily gets to his feet and turns his back to the cowering villagers.
BORIS (CONT'D)
We'll continue the search elsewhere.
A second villager hesitantly steps forward.
VILLAGER 2
Good sir knight.
Boris stops up short and looks around.
BORIS
Speak.
The villager swallows, rethinking his boldness.
VILLAGER 2
You said a maiden alone. None such has passed. But a maiden and a young swordsman journeyed by.
BORIS
I have no interest in a knight topping a local wench.
VILLAGER 2
A common sight indeed. But this man-at-arms looked a bit like our lost prince.
Boris gives the villager a cold look, causing him to break a sweat.
VILLAGER 2 (CONT'D)
That is why the sight stayed in my head, sir knight.
BORIS
Best it depart again. Which way did this phantom and his mistress pass, pray thee?
VILLAGER 2
North, my lord. Through the haunted wood.
The villager points a quaking finger. Boris looks on with disgust.
BORIS
Every village in this kingdom has an idiot, a harlot, and a haunted wood. Were all the woods of the kingdom truly haunted, we would all live in clay huts. I suppose there's a witch as well.
The villager nods gravely.
VILLAGER 2
Her name is Cymballine.
BORIS
Cymballine, eh? More suited for a dancing girl than a witch. I think the Silent Guard will be more than a match for the crone.
Boris flips the villager a gold coin. His monstrous knights fall in, as the villagers watch with wide-eyed silence.
After Boris is off-screen, the villager elbows an old man with a dirty eyepatch who was skulking behind the group.
VILLAGER 2
Dernor, why did you not speak up? The witch took your eye, not your tongue!
DERNOR just shakes his head and fades farther back into the group.

Give me a shout at johnoakdalton@hotmail.com.

No comments: