Tuesday, March 23, 2004

Stoned Soul Picnic

Today I got this week's NEWSWEEK and opened right to an ad featuring Hunter Austin, one of the stars in my bigfoot epic AMONG US. It's one of those Microsoft Office "Great Moments" ads, and she is standing on a box of files holding flowers while office mates applaud.

I almost didn't recognize her, as the whole time I saw her during the shooting she was wearing a black knit cap--not unlike the one worn by another starlet who was also being chased around in the woods by unseen forces in another mock documentary. At one point I even said to Hunter, "Hey, the girl from BLAIR WITCH called, and she'd like her hat back," upon which everyone in the cast and crew stared at my blankly. I thought she wore the hat on purpose, as some sort of homage. Apparently I was the only one who thought that. But you, loyal readers, can judge any parallels for yourself, when AMONG US comes out on DVD the last Tuesday in April.

But Hunter will always have a soft spot in my heart, as she was the first professional actress I ever heard speak one of my lines, the first day I was on the set. Unfortunately the sentence had the word "cornhole" in it.

Day job news: I was doing tech support on a video conference that featured an actor named Richard Cansino who was giving a theater class here some advice straight from the heart of L.A. One thing he said that was interesting was that you should not set a time limit on your dreams to make it in Hollywood. I used to give myself a year at a time to meet my goals. But I've since learned it's so up and down it's foolish to guage it by time. The next disaster, or the next big break, is always around the corner. Either you're in or you're out--it's binary. A 1 or a 0.

Give me a holler at johnoakdalton@hotmail.com.

No comments: