Friday, November 14, 2003

Walk On By

Gearing up for another weekend of lots of home repair and hopefully a little writing. I fired off my draft of the "hoosier" documentary, and we'll see what they say in response. Meanwhile I'll slink back over to GIZZARD GUTS.

Last night my daughter won her first JV basketball game, thankfully. Tonight we are going to see THE BEST LITTLE WHOREHOUSE IN TEXAS at the college. Always a lot in the hopper.

Speaking of the hopper, here's a bit more from PETER ROTTENTAIL:

SMASH CUT TO:
EXT. MAGIC SHOP -- MORNING
Peter takes a tumble on the sidewalk and ends up stretched out flat. He lifts his head from the sidewalk.
RENNY, the bearded, glowering owner of the magic shop, stares down at Peter.
RENNY
I can't let you in here no more, Peter. If people find out I'm the one you buy your magic tricks from I'll end up selling whoopie cushions out of the back of my van.
PETER
I just need a little something. To get me back on my feet.
Kenny shakes his head.
RENNY
My cousin needs somebody to wash dishes at the diner. It's the best I can do for ya, man.
Peter stands up.
PETER
That's bullshit! You can't cut me off like this!
RENNY
I'd rather let a perv drive my daughter's school bus than let you back in here.
(beat)
Lotsa luck, Peter.
Renny SLAMS his shop door.
Peter slumps, then begins to trudge away.
TEJEDA (O.S.)
Hey!
Peter starts, and turns towards the mouth of a dark alley that runs alongside the magic shop.
Peter squints his eyes.
PETER
I don't even have bus money, man.
A dark, mysterious figure, TEJEDA, emerges from the shadow.
TEJEDA
I don't want to take something from you, man. I want to give you something.
Tejeda holds up a little amber vial. It FLASHES in the sun.
Peter waves him off.
PETER
No thanks, I heard it leads to harder stuff.
TEJEDA
I thought you wanted to know about magic.
Peter stops in his tracks.
TEJEDA (CONT'D)
Real magic.
(beat)
Black magic.
Peter inches closer.
PETER
What's in that thing?
TEJEDA
The sweat from a voodoo master's brow. A gypsy's hot tears. The blood of an unknown sacrifice. And more.
Peter blanches.
PETER
No slice of lemon with that, huh?
Wordlessly, Tejeda swings the vial at Peter underhand.
Peter watches the gleaming vial arc in slow motion through the sky.
He snatches it from the air.
TEJEDA
It will allow you to know...the unknowable. To see...the unseen.
Peter looks at the vial.
PETER
One night in high school I drank half a bottle of Jack and did two beer bongs. How bad can this be?
TEJEDA
Indeed.
Tejeda shows a wide, cold smile, and disappears into the gloom of the alley.
Peter shrugs, and tucks the vial into one lint-lined pocket.

No comments: