Monday, January 05, 2004

Move On Up

Returned to work, and a ton of emails and phone calls. That getting up at six a.m. is a tough one after a few weeks of loafing in pajamas. Ivan Rogers told me I need to become a full-time writer so I could enjoy writer's hours. I fear those may be even crazier, but I would probably have to shave less.

I woke up this morning with a very clear recollection of when I drove to New York in 1987 and saw the Letterman show, shortly after winning a Letterman scholarship from my alma mater, Ball State. We took the train from Newark over to the World Trade Center and wandered around from there. We ended up hailing a horse and buggy and riding through Central Park in the rain, me and my pregnant wife as well as my brother and a girl he had picked up shortly before we left. We tried to spot Woody Allen at the Carnegie Deli but only got great sandwiches. Isiah Thomas and Terrence Trent D'Arby were on the Letterman show. Chris Elliot popped out of a hole in the floor. Funny how the world goes 'round.

Give me a shout at johnoakdalton@hotmail.com.

No comments: